How to Add Subtitles to Movie | Adding SRT to AVI
This post will show you a step-by-step tutorial on how to add srt format subtitles into avi format movies. Well, I bet you wouldn’t enjoy the movie if you don’t understand the language of it. Sometimes a movie has some subtitles on it but they may not be the one that you can understand. The best way to solve this problem is to simply add a subtitle in language of your choice into the movie. In 15mins from now, you can master this trick and use it for the rest of your life.
Disclaimer: This post is for if you own the legal copy of the movie or television series video of which you would like to add the subtitles to.
How to add subtitles to movie or add srt to avi?
- The very first thing you have to do is to make sure that your movie is in avi file extension. If not, you have to convert it to avi file extension by using any of the free video converters available online that support avi conversion.
- Next, search and download the subtitle in the language of your choice that match your movie from any of the subtitle sites online such as subscene.com.
- However, sometimes it is not easy to find a suitable subtitle for a less popular movie.
- Alright, for now you should already have a subtitle in srt format with you. SRT is the format of a subtitle text file. You can see the contents of the subtitle with any text editor such as notepad.
- Place it in the same folder with the movie.
- You have to rename the srt file to match the avi file name. Both names must be exactly the same! Simply just copy and paste when you rename them.
- Lastly, you need to download and install VobSub so that your video players learn how to display subtitle while playing a movie.
And that’s it! Your video should display the subtitle if you follow the above steps correctly. You’ve just learnt how to add subtitles to movie or add srt to avi!
** If your subtitle isn’t displaying correctly with your movie, it may be due to incorrect timing of the subtitle file. In that case, you will need to edit the subtitle manually (don’t worry, it’s pretty easy) before they can displayed correctly. Here’s the tutorial: How to Edit or Convert Subtitle.
For Mac Users – How to add subtitles to movie or add srt to avi:
To view .srt files on a Mac, you need to use a video playing application called VLC Media Player. It’s a free and easy to use video player used widely across the globe. Once you’re running VLC, go to preferences and deselect ‘automatically detect subtitle files’. Follow step 1 and 2 above until you have a piece of subtitle file on your computer. Then, on your VLC player, choose the subtitle file to be played with your movie using the ‘browse’ button (select both files). It’s not automatic but it should work. Enjoy your movies!