Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) and Revert Back to IE8 or IE7
If you are not satisfied with the newly released Internet Explorer 9 beta, you can always remove it and revert back to IE 8 or IE 7. This tutorial will guide you through the steps of doing so.
How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 and Revert Back to IE8/IE7
- Close IE and all other programs.
- Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features (or Uninstall a program link).
- From the left pane, click View installed updates.
- Find Windows Internet Explorer 9 from the list of installed updates, right-click it and then select the Uninstall option.
- When Uninstall an update dialog box appears, click Yes. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 9.
- When the IE9 uninstallation is completed, restart your computer.
- After the reboot, the previous version of IE installed on your system will be restored.
Sometimes we just need time to get ourselves familiar with the new updates which happen so fast. IE 9 however is an awesome release, it provides a much simpler and wise user interface where you get to access anything with ease. The ability of it handling with plugins, addons, and toolbars has been improved. You can certainly see improvement in at least a little bit of everything. Instead of reverting back to IE 8, you may want to try the new one for a few days.
Update: Now that IE 10 has been released, many of you may want to revert back to IE 9 or 8 from the newly released IE 10. The method is the same when it comes to reverting to an older version of Internet Explorer, provided, of course, if your default version of IE that came in when you first install your Windows is not IE 10. Otherwise, this method won’t work.
Update two: After all these days, this post is still getting a lot of attention as to how to revert your current IE version back to the older ones. Well, for IE 11, if you get it from windows update then certainly this method will still work. By removing the recent update, you get to revert back to your older version of IE. As for Windows 8 users, since IE 11 is the default version, there isn’t a way to revert it. I may be wrong though, if you found a way, please share it with us in the comment section!