Windows Shortcut Keys List
Here’s a list of Windows shortcut keys widely used by Windows users. Use them often and you will eventually get used to them. They can really save you lots of time. Some of these might not work in the older versions of Windows. Try them out!
Most Often Used Windows Shortcut Keys
CTRL key related
- Ctrl+Alt+Delete = Open “Task Manager”.
- Ctrl+Shift+Esc = Another tricky way to open “Task Manager”.
- Ctrl+Esc = Open “Start Menu”, but it seems stupid to use this instead of just pressing the “windows button”.
SHIFT key related
- Shift = To prevent external device from automatically playing when inserted. This can be a little bit handy. You must hold shift while inserting your CD, usb drive, etc to stop them from running the autorun (especially when they are infected by spywares or viruses).
- Shift+Delete = I bet you already knew this. It’s to delete item permanently.
ALT key related
- Alt+Tab = Switch through opened windows programs. Very useful when you have multiple windows under operation.
- Alt+F4 = To end task or to close the active program that is currently being using.
- Alt+Enter = To open properties of selected item, instead of having to right click -> properties.
- Alt+ SPACEBAR = Open the system menu of active window.
- Alt+ SPACEBAR +N = To minimize the active program.
- Alt+ SPACEBAR +R = To restore the active program.
- Alt+ SPACEBAR+C = To close the active program.
- Alt+ SPACEBAR+X = To maximize the active program.
- Alt+ SPACEBAR+M = To move the active program.
WIN key related
- Win = To open “start menu”, instead of stupidly using Ctrl + Esc.
- Win+R = To open “Run” dialog box. You will soon find this particularly useful.
- Win+M = To minimize all opened windows.
- Win+Shift+M = To maximize all opened windows.
- Win+L = To lock keyboard in Windows XP. It won’t work in some machines.
- Win+E = To open “My Computer”. Stop double clicking already!
- Win+F = To open “Search” options.
- Win+U = To open “Utility Manager”.
- Win+D = To minimize all active windows or show desktop.
- Win+F1 = To view the detail windows help page.
- Win+Pause = To view the “System Properties” dialog box.
- Win+Tab = Switch through taskbar programs. Special effects in Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
- Win+F+Ctrl = To open “Search” window to search files of folders on your computer.
Enjoy playing with your keyboard! Share this little trick with your friends and they would be happy to know it. Subscribe or like us to be the first to our exclusive tips and tweaks.