Overview of Computer Systems | What is Computer | Computer History
This article covers the following infos about Computer System: what is a computer; the overview of computer systems; the components of a computer; and the history of computer.
If you reach this page by searching a certain keyword from any search engine, I would recommend you to use CTRL-F to find the parts that you need.
What is an Electronic digital Computer?
A Computer is a Programmable Electronic Device that can Store, Retrieve, and Process Data.
First computer ever built
ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator) is believed to be the first computer ever built on the planet. It was designed by Dr. John Mauchly and Dr.J.P.Eckert completed in 1946. Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator was built of 18,000 vacuum tube ands 70,000 resistors. [How enourmous o.o?]
Power consumed – 5,000,000 Kilowatt and floor space – 1,8oo square feet.
Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator could add two numbers in 200 microseconds and multiplication of two numbers in 2800 microsecond.
It cost $3,000,000 to build the ENIAC.
History of Computer Architecture
- Zeroth Generation –Mechanical (1642 – 1945)
- First Generation –Vacuum tube ( 1945 – 1955)
- Second Generation –Transistor ( 1955 – 1965)
- Third generation –Integrated Circuit (1965 -1980)
- Fourth Generation –Personal Computers and VLSI ( 1980 – now )
Computer Systems’ Components – Overview
Basically there’re 6 components which surround a computer system:
- Data and Information
Data and Information
- How is data stored -> where (hardware)
- Who manipulates the data -> by whom (software)
- Examples – resume, list of contacts, employees, documents, graphics, sound, etc
Modern computer information systems depend on the ability to share processing operations and data among different computers and users, located both locally and remotely.
Computer hardware processes data by executing instructions, storing data and transferring data and information between the various peripherals.
Software consists of the system and application programs that define the instructions that are executed by hardware.
- Beneficiaries of computer and communications systems.
- People can be the most complicating factor.
- steps for accomplishing a result.
- expressed in manuals or documentation.
What is a Computer?
What is inside the System Unit?
System Unit Components
Additional Components in a System Unit
- Memory Cards
- Internal Modem
- Printer Ports, Serial Ports, USB Ports
- Specialised Processing Chips
- Video Display Board (Card)
- Sound Board
Overview of a Motherboard
CPU (Central Processing Unit)
HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
Schematic Diagram of a Personal Computer
- I/O Devices (Input/Output) – Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers
- Storage – floppy disks, zip drives, hard disks, CDs
- System Unit – CPU (CPU = Arithmetic and Logic Unit, Control Unit, Interfaces), Memory (RAM), I/O interfaces, Buses
Memory is a collection of storage cells. Each cell can store a character
- 1 cell = 8 bits = 1 byte
- 1 Kilo Byte (KB) = 1024 bytes
- 1 Mega Byte (MB) = 1024 KB
- 1 Giga Byte (GB) = 1024 MB
Similar cells in the hard drives, floppies, ZIPs
- can store data and or programs (instructions)
- instruction = the most basic operation
- 1 instruction is stored on 1, 2 or 3 bytes
A Typical Computer Systems
Types of Computers
Summary of this entry
A Computer is a programmable Electronic Device, that can store, retrieve and process data. The components of the computers are Hardware, Software, Data, Information, Procedure and People. The main three units of the computers are Input/Output unit, System unit and Memory unit.
* The above information is aimed to assist people who want to learn more about computer technology. All credits go to the original creator(s) of these information or founder(s) of these knowledges. These works is not and will not be used for any commercial purposes in this weblog.